TURKISH FOLK DANCES DEPARTMENT
The Turkish Folk Dances Department that started education in 1989 under the guidance of Assist. Prof. Cengiz Aydın aims to train competent educators, scholars and artists who will transmit the traditional folk dances from one generation to the other through scientific methods.
The department has a young and dynamic academic staff of 5 faculty members and 14 lecturers who are each experts in their own fields. There are two main programmes as Training and Performance in the department. While there are theoretical courses in the Training Programme, there is a curriculum based on stage performances in Performance Programme. In the department, there is a curricula of 4 years_ the first 2 years for associate’s and the other 2 for bachelor’s degrees.
Next to being independent artists, the graduates can be employed as dancers in private companies, music and folk dances trainers in state school, private schools or public education centers, scholars at the universities or researchers at the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
The documents and data obtained through the ethnographic field researches and folk dance collections which create the basis of education and staging works of the department are archived in the department and benefitted during the educational activities.
• “Ekin Projects”: Ekin Ensemble of the Department stage productions prepared by the instructors mastered on dance, choreography, music, theatre, costumes and make-up by almost 80 students each year. These shows are presented to the public as VCDs. “Ege”, “Tokat, Karadeniz”, “Halaylar”, “Kaşık Oyunları”, “Kafkas
(Azerbaycan-Gürcü)” ve “Yörüklerde Oyun Geleneği” are some of these.
Narrative dance on the Battle of Gallipoli.
•“Atatürk ile Yeniden Doğuş”: Narrative dance on the Republic and its acquisitions.
• Festivals held in Germany, France, Belgium, Hungary, North Cyprus, Bosnia, Italy, Polland, Finland, Sweden, England, China, Austira and the USA.
• 4th and 5th International Traditional Thetre Festivals.
• 3rd Balkan Folk Dances Festival
• Symposium called “Türk Halk Oyunlarının Sahada
Derlenmesinde Karşılaşılan Problemler” held on 1-3 December, 1999 in cooperation by the Mnistry of Culture.
• ICTM Southeastern Europe Study group on Music and Dance Symposium
• Temel Dans Eğitimi / Dansa İlk Adım / Tiyatral Halk
Danslarının Kurgusal Analizi,
Professor (PhD) Gürbüz Aktaş
• İzmir Zeybek Oyunları,
Professor (PhD) M. Öcal Özbilgin
• Okullarda Halk Oyunları / Türk Halk Oyunları’nda
Toplumsal Yapılanma / Liselerde Halk Oyunları,
Associate Professor (PhD)Cengiz Aydın
• Bağlama Metodu,
Instructor A. Tufan Güldaş
• Türk Halk Oyunları Müziklerinden Örnekler (17 Yöre - 266 Nota),
Lecturer Tarkan Erkan
• Anadolu ve Balkanlar’da Halk Çalgıları, Halk Oyunları,
Geleneksel Giyim Kuşam ve Halk Müziği, Müze ve Arşivi
Oluşturulması (Cilt 1-2-3-4)
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH PROJECTS
•1990 - 1993 Ege Yöresi Halk Oyunları
• 1993 - 1994 Yörelerimizin Geleneksel Oyun ve Müzikleri
• 2004 - 2006 Azerbaycan Halk Dansları, Geleneksel Giyim
- Kuşam, Müzik ve Halk Çalgıları Araştırması
• 2004 - 2008 Balkanlar’da Halk Çalgıları, Geleneksel Giyim
- Kuşam ve Halk Müziği Müze ve Arşivi Oluşturulması
(By the support of State Planning Organization)
• 2007 - 2010 İzmir İli Geleneksel Oyun ve Müziklerinin
•Golden Axe World First Prize, Golden Bell World First Prize in 22nd Insetrantional Folk Dances and Music Contest held in Zakopane in 1990.
• Half Stylate World First Prize in Dijon Festival (2001) that’s considered one of the biggest folk dances contest in the world.
STUDENT ADMISSON CRITERIA:
Turkish Folk Dances Department admits students among the national and international applicants chosen by a two stpe talent examination. The student quota is 30 per each year. The talent examination consists of musical perception, movement perception, individual presentation and collective presentation. The applicants’ physical appropriateness is also evaluated.